Sometimes you just have a hankering for some different foods. We love Chinese food but don’t always love how it makes our tummies feel. Feeding my family that is the size of an army, or some would say, with 3 teenage boys we have to be creative with our food budget, keeping tummies full and keeping it low carb. Browsing for inspiration I came across an interesting recipe from one of my favorite sites Peace Love and Low Carb for a egg roll in a bowl. It looked interesting so I thought I would put my own spin on it and give it a whirl. This recipe makes 4 servings and for an army you will want to triple it. Bonus is that even tripled it’s still very budget friendly, especially if you have an Aldi near you. The original recipe called for sesame oil however we opted to use coconut oil instead as sesame oil is highly processed and high in polyunsaturated fats and omega 6 than we like and can cause inflammation. Since we work hard to keep inflammation down we do not use that. My kids ate 2-3 helpings each, it was a big hit. Adding extra veggies in that you might have and like would make it even better. We added a little extra broccoli slaw mix. I had sauteed mushrooms in mine as did one of my sons, the rest don’t like mushrooms so we did not make it in the full batch hence why it’s not in the recipe. This has such a nice crunch to it. Crumbled bacon would be amazing added to this dish because everyone knows bacon makes everything better! Bon petite
- 2 tablespoons organic coconut oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 5 green onions, sliced on a bias (white and green parts)
- 1 pound ground pork(You could use shredded chicken or whatever type of meat you like and it will turn out wonderful)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 14 ounce bag coleslaw mix- we used broccoli slaw
- 3 tablespoons Coconut Aminos or gluten free soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- Optional: 1 tablespoon Sriracha or garlic chili sauce, more to taste. We did not use as we do not like spice.
- Heat coconut oil in a large skillet over medium high heat
- Add the garlic, onion, and white portion of the green onions. Sauté until the onions are translucent and the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the ground pork, ground ginger, sea salt, black pepper and Sriracha. Sauté until the pork is cooked through.
Add the coleslaw mix, coconut aminos, and red wine vinegar. Sauté until the coleslaw is tender.
Top with green onions and sesame seeds before serving. My family is not big on green onion so we left that off and it was still delicious. Add more Coconut Aminos or Soy sauce if you’d like a bit more as well.
Approx Per Serving – Calories: 297| Fat: 20g | Protein: 20g | Total carbs: 7g | Fiber 1.5g | Net Carbs: 5.5g