Recently a dear friend of mine mentioned that she was doing low carb meals as the budget allowed for and asked if there was such a thing of budget friendly low carb meals. This got me thinking that if my friend thinks this way of life is not budget friendly then I am sure many other people do as well and it may deter them from this healthier way of life. So to my keyboard I sprung to give a few tips on keeping this budget friendly.
We all have food budgets each with their own limits. Continue reading “Low Carb and budgeting”
Tonight’s dinners is one of our family favorites, of course the past few times we have made it I wasn’t able to capture the pictures for a nice post. Surprise surprise I still got barely any pictures, at least I did get one of the finished recipe. This makes about 6 servings and takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish to make! The best part, this is easy to increase and is easy on the budget…perfect for party or a big family like mine!
This is from Ditch the Carbs, one of my favorite sites to pull and tweak recipes from.
Ingredients you need:
1 onion quartered and sliced,1 clove garlic crushed, 1.65 lb ground/mince beef, 2 oz full fat cream cheese, 3 slices bacon diced, salt/pepper to taste, 3 Med eggs,1/2 cup heavy cream, 1 1/2 cup shredded/grated cheese divided, 2 tbsp mustard,2 pickles sliced
- Fry the bacon pieces until cooked and set aside.
- Fry the onion, garlic and beef until thoroughly cooked. Add salt and pepper to taste, stir through the cream cheese.
- Pour the beef layer into the baking dish. Sprinkle the bacon pieces over.
Cheese Burger Sauce
- Mix the eggs, cream, 1 cup of the shredded cheese, mustard, salt and pepper together. Pour the cheese sauce over the beef layer.
- Place slices of pickles all over the top then cover with the remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- Bake at 180C/350F for 15 minutes until the cheese is golden and crispy.
- Delicious served with salad and low carb mayo or full fat sour cream.
Nutritional information: 613 Calories , Fat 51g, Carbohydrates 3g, Protein 33g